This is a quick guide for International students landing in Canada – A checklist that will help you get set up initially.
- Collect your official study permit at the Airport. It will be stapled to your passport. Make sure it has the clause that permits your to work off campus (186 F, V or W). If you land on a weekday you can collect your temporary SIN as well.
- The best way to travel from the airport to the graduate house will be taxi (since you have luggage). It should cost you about 50 CAD.
- I was not asked about insurance at immigration. Your UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) starts on Sep 1 but you can get additional bridge cover from Aug 10 so if you are landing before that it is a good idea to get some cover from your home country.
- Collect your UofT ID card from the Robarts library which is almost next door to the grad house. This takes 3 mins.
- If you have opened an account at BMO, walk into their office at University Avenue (10 mins walk from Grad House). They will set you up with your debit card and you can apply for a credit card as well.
- The Rotman building is 5 minutes aways from the Graduate House. Feel free to take a tour and check in at the PSO (second floor)
- The nearest mall is the Toronto Eaton Center. (20 mins walk/5 mins subway) There are a lot of mobile providers here and you can compare plans to get a local SIM. It gets activated immediately.